Friday, May 13, 2005

In a row?

Diamondbacks 3, Nationals 2
Diamondbacks 6, Rockies 3

And, with those wins and a loss by the Dodgers, we're tied in first place again. We've picked up three games in a row now, and it was pretty nice to have more than a couple of runs tonight. Though I have to agree with ESPN's assessment of Chacon as the Rockie's "most unfortunate starter." He's got an ERA of 3.28, but a record of 1-3. That's just sad. He, Derek Lowe (2.94, 2-4), and Joe Blanton (3.22, 0-3) should probably start a club or something.

Cruz has certainly made himself welcome in the games since he's been back. He didn't hurt that at all by going 3 for 4 with two home runs today. And the defense continues to be pretty solid. We're apparently on pace for 64 errors this year, not bad after leading the majors last season. Plus, we're a pretty decent 16-7 against the NL West, which is important. We're facing swings in luck, and are not consistent, but so far the coin has landed our side up so far.

The point was made on Random Fandom, that "
Past performance -- especially just seven days' worth -- is absolutely no predictor of future success[...]" which made me laugh. Primarily because, a few nights ago, I was wandering Yahoo's baseball page. They post favorable matchups, and a "Hot/Not" bit, based on the last 7 days. It made me laugh, because first they had Tim Redding, with an unimpressive ERA of 108.0 over the past seven days. But he was far better off than Paul Wilson, who, due to his tragic performance on the 6th (8 earned runs in 0.0 innings pitched) had an ERA of infinity! I mean, that's the kind of stat that's going to stick with you, I think.

It just brings to mind the words attributed to
Hubert Blalock: "The manipulation of statistical formulas is no substitute for knowing what one is doing."

No, I'm not entirely sure who Hubert Blalock is. Yes, I acknowledge the irony.

We're in Denver the rest of the weekend, then a day off before we travel to Houston. The Astros aren't doing too well, and I'm trying to work up some rivalry with a friend online, so I'm disappointed I'll be offline for much of the series. Ah well.