Saturday, May 07, 2005

Dear Diamondbacks

Okay, I'll admit I was a little annoyed in the first when we had the bases loaded, no outs, and got one run- on a walk. I probably jumped the gun in criticism a bit, but you guys have to admit, last night brought back some unpleasant memories of last year. If it weren't for that smoothie, I might have wept myself to sleep in my giant baseball pillow last night. Today was stressful, and I took it out on you. But, you guys were understanding. Javier Vazquez, you gave me just what I needed to pick up my spirits- 7 innings, 8 strike outs, no walks, and only 94 pitches? Rock on, man.

And on offense? Thank you, guys. I mean, every starter picked up a hit, except for Tony Clark and Luis Gonzales. And, Tony,
you've been doing well enough lately, I'm not going to hold today against you. Gonzo, you picked up two walks and got hit by a pitch, and I can't complain when a guy gets on base three times out of the five he steps to the plate. Plus, come on, eight runs? Awesome.

Really, there's not much I can nag you on today, other than that first inning. And you guys didn't let it shake you. Good work.

Sincerely,

Devin

P.S. I don't actually have a giant baseball pillow, it was more to illustrate the point, really.


Is it just me, or is Dontrelle Willis just kind of scary? I tend to get very personal grudges against two groups of players in baseball: the Yankees, and pitchers, and Dontrelle Willis is on that list for a couple reasons. First, I dislike his use of the nickname "D-Train", 'cause, seriously, that could be my nickname. I've thought about it. But did he even ask if he could use it? No! Jerk. Second, I still think Brandon Webb had a better rookie year than Willis did. But, seriously, this year he's got a 1.07 ERA? 1.07? At home, he's got an 0.58 ERA! Think about that! That's saying he averages a little over a run for every two complete games he pitches at home! That's amazing. By which I mean terrifying. Geez.

The Marlins are also making noise about moving to Las Vegas. I'm hoping they'll have to hire a bunch of horrible players to get their attendance to drop, as in the hit movie, Major League. But I'm pretty sure that's not how it works in "real life". Which is good, because then we won't have to suffer through the extraneous romance plotline.

I hadn't realized how terrible the Rockies were doing this year. Really. It's kind of sad, since I used to follow the Rockies before the D-backs came along. But their last win was April 23rd. Since then, they've lost nine games with three postponements. Yikes. In comparison, the Diamondbacks have gone 8-4 since then. Kinda puts some perspective on dropping two to San Diego last weekend.

I also want the Dodgers to lose a game. Can I make an order on that? Come on, Reds, you can, against all odds, win tomorrow! Really!

Bleh...

But good work, Diamondbacks.